Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Working Weaknesses

On his cross-country tour, Mikko Salo spent time at Reebok World Headquarters in Canton, Mass. Heather Bergeron, a coach at Reebok CrossFit One and CrossFit New England, joined him to talk about their training in preparation for the 2011 Reebok CrossFit Games.

Salo said the 2010 CrossFit Games were “an eye-opening experience” that had a great effect on his training. According to Salo, he’s actually glad he didn’t come closer to the podium because it gave him the motivation to focus on his weaknesses and get better. He’s currently concentrating his efforts on improving his gymnastics abilities.

“I have increased my strength levels, and my met-cons are getting better, so I’m doing something right,” Salo says. “Skill training is the thing we have now added to my training.”

While Salo says he follows some met-cons on the main site, he mostly programs his own training. By contrast, Bergeron says she’s trying to follow the main-site programming as much as possible but adds supplemental work to her regimen. Both competitors are trying to improve their gymnastics skills, especially handstand walking.

“It’s just a fun thing to train,” Bergeron says. “So if I’m in the gym and I don’t know what to do and I’m just trying to kill time, I start walking on my hands. It’s just fun.”

6min 01sec

Additional reading: Volume Training for “Goats” by Brian Wilson, published Feb. 14, 2011.

Rachel McAdams Kristin Cavallari Brittany Murphy Britney Spears Amanda Swisten

No comments:

Post a Comment