Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Story of Longevity: Parts 1-2

John Van Every, owner of CrossFit Longevity in Santa Cruz, Calif., is bringing CrossFit to athletes 50 years old and older. After Van Every began training his father, both were quickly sold on the idea of bringing CrossFit to others in this demographic.

“We started thinking that offering CrossFit to his age group would be something that would be very beneficial,” John says.

In Part 1, Van Every talks about the success of his affiliate and athletes as well as the obstacles he’s encountered. He says getting new clients in the door is a challenge because many in the age group don’t stay connected through social media.

“Generally, I’ve had to shift the way that I market towards this age demographic, and it’s been a challenge, and we’re still working on that. So really, word of mouth has worked the best so far,” he says.

His athletes are proud of the improvement they have made, and none have left the program.

“I’ve noticed that I am much stronger. Before I came in here, I was having problems getting up off the floor,” says 66-year-old Gloria Thomas. “But I’m much stronger now, so I can do that by myself.”

In Part 2, John and his father, Dr. John Van Every, share their familiarity with Coach Greg Glassman, having met CrossFit’s founder and CEO during the formative years of his coaching.

Part 1
12min 50sec

Part 2
3min 33sec

Additional reading: Training Silvers by Joey Powell, published May 28, 2010.

Paz Vega Rebecca Mader Eva Green Lauren Conrad Arielle Kebbel

No comments:

Post a Comment