Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Roundtable in Tahoe: Managing Work, Rest and Intensity

With some of CrossFit’s top athletes in Lake Tahoe, Calif., for the Rogue Vs. Again Faster Throwdown, it was a great opportunity to throw the athletes into a room and get them talking with the cameras rolling.

In this installment, the competitors discuss the importance of recovery from day-to-day workouts and multiple workouts on the same day. The topic fuels some heated debate among the athletes.

“I think most people don’t have a clue how to listen to their body,” Chris Spealler says. According to him, his wrestling background has given him a keen sense of his own ability and recovery needs. “I don’t look at it as like I need to be exposed to all these workouts and just wear myself out. I know my body well enough that I know how I should feel every second of that workout.”

The debate continues over whether the stimulus of failure during a workout can improve overall work capacity, and the athletes talk about how they can test that stimulus. The athletes also discuss when to put their bodies to the test.

“It’s learning how to manage work and rest. That’s a huge part of CrossFit,” Spealler says.

14min 58sec

Additional reading: Rest and Recovery in Interval-Based Exercise by Tony Leyland, published April 1, 2007.

Isla Fisher Sophia Bush Megan Fox Michelle Malkin Charlies Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment